International Older People’s Day: Recognize the Elderly and Fight Ageism
October 1st is officially International Older People’s Day and a time to recognize all of the achievements of older persons around the globe. It is also a time to celebrate, honor, and pay respect to the seniors in our lives.
“After a lifetime of working, raising families and contributing to the success of this nation in countless other ways, senior citizens deserve to retire with dignity.”
Are beloved elderly friends and family in our lives are usually the folks who are now retired and living on a much earned pension. More importantly, the older persons around us have probably paved the way before us. Someone smart once said, “Listen to your elder’s advice. Not because they are right, but because they have more experiences of being wrong”.
Celebrating International Older People’s Day should require zero to little effort. Instead, it is a day to celebrate, appreciate, and spend time with the seniors we already know. These may be our aging parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, and/or elderly people we pass on a daily basis.
Here are a few simple ways to recognize the older people in our lives:
- Spend the day with your favorite older person. Take them out to lunch or for more inspiration here are a bunch of activities that are elderly friendly.
- If you are a senior citizen, take advantage of the discounts or promotions offered in your area on that day.
- Reach out to the senior citizens in your life. Let them know they are special, appreciated and loved. Send a card, flowers, or simply make a phone call. Sometimes the smallest gestures mean the most!
- Volunteer at a retirement home or senior center
- Spread the love and share this article on social media or with friends and family. Sharing is caring and will help more people become aware of the day! Use the hashtag #OlderPeoplesDay on social media.
Latest posts by bccm-admin (see all)
- WANTED: Certified Nursing Assistants & Qualified Caregivers / What, Why and How to Become a CNA - January 10, 2017
- Year in Review: 2016 Highlights From In Home Care - December 28, 2016
- Managing the Holidays & Our Elderly Loved Ones with “CHEER” - December 21, 2016